"He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sakes." It's never been easy to make sure kids are doing the right thing. What better way to enlist an omniscient being who watches over everyone to make sure they are good? I guess the same can be said for people in general. We have laws that are supposed to keep people safe and deter others from committing crimes. Then there's religion.
God is looking out for us, so we better honor him and love him. He did forgive you for your original sin...that he gave you, so you better do right by him.
 |
| Pic:Unit 70 Studios |
I was not so much raised Catholic as I was raised in a home of people who were Catholic. We went to church on Sunday, knelt, stood and crossed ourselves. It was something to do on Sundays. But, I was never struck with awe by the wonder of god. I did learn things, though. I learned guilt and accountability. More specifically, religion introduced me to the concept of guilt, which I would later realize is a feeling everyone has to a certain extent, but is used by some to manipulate people into doing what they want.
Guilt is a tool I believe religion uses to keep believers humble. Followers were born into original sin, feel the guilt and give themselves to god. Guilt is a negative feeling that is caused when you do something that is perceived to be bad. It all depends on what you define as 'bad.' If I know something is wrong, I will not do it, not out of fear of getting caught or angering god, but out of respect for myself and others.
I hold myself accountable. Any negative thing I put out into the world, it's mine. I own the consequences. I have no one to fall back on but myself.
No comments:
Post a Comment