Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 13, 2017

Writing without my floaties


Vulture Droppings (brainnuggets)

I started my new schedule today. Which means that I started a schedule. Just like any addict, I have to remove myself from situations that encourage relapse. In this case, I am seriously addicted to procrastination. I just hope I put as much systematic effort into my schedule as I have into my procrastination. Writers are usually inspired to write by something or someone. Either it is an ideology, a work ethic, not to die (the premise of one of my stories)…or it is a fictional manifestation of that ideology or work ethic. It is whatever motivates them. I believe Stephen King’s is, according to his book On Writing, a fat guy in a tutu smoking big fat cigars.

Today, I didn't Google 'scheduling' or search for an app that helped me do it. I sat down, like I normally do, to a blank page. I woke up Mr. Logic and asked it, 'what do I want to do?' The reply was, 'I don't know...stuff.' I realized that my teenaged self fell asleep in the library again. So, I shuffled him off to bed and asked my question again. 'You want to write. More specifically, you want to order your day so you can write and not be distracted by all the other stuff you need to get done.'  

I made a list of general things I need to do: fiction, content, email (check, delete), learning, and social media. I decided to not slot times for them. No one's the boss of me, except for my wife. I hate having a schedule. It's too constricting...it's a tool of the man, man.

So, to stick it to the man, I decided that each day I am going to take the general things I need to do during the day and prioritize. Today, it is content; learning; fiction; social media; email. At the end of each day, I am going to look at all the things I did/didn't do and all the notes that I jotted down while getting the prioritized things done, and prioritize for the next day. Always stop and write down new ideas. Even if you are in the middle of writing something else. Have a pen and paper if you want to keep current and unformed ideas separate. I have a new document open so I just click, type and come back to my current work. This might or might not work for me.I have a sporadic mind, but I also tend to be ‘meh’ about things that I have otherwise deemed to be important. I have realized that I am not ‘meh’ about the work itself, just the idea of having to work to get what I want. I am still very much the ‘little rich boy’ growing up in a white suburban neighborhood. I have come really far away from that. I tend to gravitate to small, rural towns where the idea of a book might be to go really fast down a hill, or people wonder what the benefit of a library really is and can they not spend the money on (at the very least) maintaining a legal association to a library (touchy issue; I won’t get myself started).

To make things work, I also have in my notes things that work and don't work. If something I know is distracting keeps distracting me, I write it down. I don't worry about solutions. They are just notes for later. 


No comments:

Post a Comment