Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Discussed Anger (Brain Droppings)

I realized something today.  I mentioned in a previous post that as a child and adolescent, my family never discussed politics and that I must have fallen far from the tree. I think about politics and the state of the world a lot. The internet and social media have made it possible fo me to deliver my opinion to others. I have been called passionate and have entered into my fair share of flame wars.

I know now that this desire to tell people what I think, to debate when it is better left alone, when most people would move along, is related to my upbringing.

Last night, I had dinner with my father. On the tip of my brain was the election, but given past habits, I did not bring it up. Before last night, I had decided to not let who they voted for affect how I feel about my family. But, it still pisses me off. It disgusts me when I see decisions certain politicians have made or plan to make that will have detrimental effects on my family and I think, 'How could they.' For example, I thought that today after my wife talked about unions and the effects current negotiations could have on our family. I thought, 'Why dad?'

I think the reason I am passionate about politics and eagerly enter into the fray is not so much an effect of our family not talking about it--not directly, way--as it is that I know I can't talk about it out of respect, but it still pisses me off, and this anger is injected into my discussions with other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment