Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 3, 2016

Light Reading: My Existence


I've been reading The God Delusion and I recently picked up the books Philosophy in Minutes (2014) by Marcus Weeks, Existentialism: All that Matters (2015) by David Cerbone and Trivium: The Classical Liberal Arts of Grammar, Logic, & Rhetoric (2016) John Martineau, editor. I was drawn to existentialism in college. I was taking a rhetoric or logic class and either overhead Sartre's name or tumbled on it in a bookstore, not sure. But, it was one of the few papers I wrote in college that I actually worked on. No last minute bullshit for this one. I pored myself into it. I could not wait to get to work and was disappointed when the work was done. Little did I know that I would revisit it again and again throughout my life. So, here I am today.

The focus on the individual, the subjective human experience appeals to me today more than ever. I have always been somewhat self-centered anyway because I have such a problem interacting with others, unless it is through sarcasm or humor. It applies to me to day as well because of my relatively recent realization of my atheism. I hadn't thought about it then, but I certainly had the same feelings of disillusionment and 'that's a load of shit' then that I do now. I have just been acknowledging it now, over the recent years.

The subjective human experience, existential angst, and our relationship to the world applies to thoughts of god and whether or not he exists. We have our life, and that's it rather than God pulling our strings or setting the script.

No comments:

Post a Comment